pasta of your choice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 x 250g pack of bacon
1 large courgette, grated, all liquid squeezed out
1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
¼ cup lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
½ cup cream
fresh basil, mint or chives
grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta until al dente in lots of boiling water with a little salt added. Drain.
- Chop bacon (remove rind and excess fat first) and fry in olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add garlic and courgette and fry for 2 minutes, careful not to allow garlic to turn brown (makes it bitter).
- Add zest, cream and juice and lower heat, stirring occasionally. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Cream will reduce.
- Pour sauce over pasta and stir gently to ensure pasta is well coated.
- Add your choice of fresh herbes and grated parmesan.
- I didn’t see a need to add salt or pepper as the lemon flavour is delicate and I didn’t want it to be overshadowed. The parmesan and bacon is already salty so didn’t want to overdo that either.